When it comes to must have gear, the ioMerino Altitude Neck Tube should be at the top of your list. This great bit of merino gear is deceptively simple, yet highly versatile, providing for a range of different uses when running, hiking, or adventuring in the outdoors. I’ve used the Altitude Neck Tube on adventures over the last 4 years in every possible kind of weather conditions, from the stifling heat and sun of outback Australia to the relentless wind, snow and cold of Australia’s alpine region – It’s never let me down and here are some of the best ways to use it:
KW Adventurer’s best Altitude Neck Tube Uses:
- Straight Neck Tube: A simple and super effective way of ensuring neck warmth or sun protection. Simply wear loosely around your neck. You can also tuck it under the collar of your shirt to lock it in place.
- Face Mask: With the Neck Tube around your neck, pull it up to cover your nose and sit below your eyes. Great for keeping your face warm in windy cold conditions or protected from the sun.
- The Babushka: With the neck tube around your neck, pull up the rear over your head until you have a snug fit covering your ears and top of head. This one is called the ‘Babushka’ because it resembles the traditional headscarf fashioned by Russian women that is tied under the chin and covers the head. It looks a bit crazy, but it works bloody well! It’s great for extra warmth and to prevent cold ears. For extra layering, try the Babushka under or over the ioMerino Outsider Cap or a balaclava.
- Head Band/Ear Warmer: Dual use here – It can keep sweat off your forehead when exercising and/or to keep your ears warm in the cold, especially if you don’t need the extra heat from the full headcover Babuskha-style. Adjust the neck tube on your forehead and back of head until it sits tight as needed.
- Sweat Band/Watch Guard: Twist and wrap the Neck Tube as desired around your wrist for a great sweat band or watch guard. Very useful for those exercising in hot conditions to mop away sweat, especially when running in the Ultra-Trail Australia.
- Eye Mask: Great for improving sleep when camping or travelling by keeping that pesky early morning sunlight out of your eyes!
- Makeshift Pillowcase: If you need a makeshift pillow, stretch your Altitude Neck Tube over a stuff sack or similar.
As always, I layer the Altitude Neck Tube with other pieces of ioMerino clothing to maximize my comfort and warmth. It works great with the Reversible Beanie, the Keystone Tee, the Altitude Crew Neck, and the Outsider Cap.
Merino Magic – It’s What Makes The Altitude Neck Tube So Good
Besides it’s amazing versatility, the magic of the Altitude Neck Tube comes from the merino fabric.
As a fabric, merino provides a range of inimitable benefits:
- Merino wool is naturally breathable and temperature regulating, so it helps keep you warm when it’s cool and cool when it’s warm.
- Merino wool is naturally moisture wicking and dries quickly, so it wicks sweat away from the skin for extra comfort, while staying warm when wet and quick drying.
- Merino wool is naturally odor-resistant, meaning it can be used day-in & day-out and won’t stink!
- Merino wool is soft, anti-chafe and itch-free, so it feels great on your skin – it’s like being hugged around the neck by a baby sheep, seriously!
The Altitude Neck Tube is 100% Australian too, made from Australian merino wool and ioMerino is a 100% Australian company.